FABRIC DYEING IN THE MICROWAVEHere's something a former co-worker of ours was given and we are just passing it on. (Let us know if you think you deserve credit for this method. Also, please keep in mind that we have not tried it ourselves, therefore we do not wish to appear we are recommending or endorsing the method, just sharing.) Here goes: 2 c. water
1/4 t. soda ash
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. Procion dye
- Mix above ingredients in large (2 quart) bowl - one that will NOT be used for food preparation later.
- Add 2 yards fabric and let fabric soak up all the liquid. I scrunched the fabric up for a mottled affect.
- Cover bowl with Saran Wrap.
- Microwave on HI for four minutes.
- Poke a hole in the Saran Wrap IMMEDIATELY after microwaving. (This step is VERY important as it will allow steam built up during microwaving process to be released slowly - STEAM IS HOT - BE CAREFUL - TAKE PRECAUTIONS TO NOT BURN YOURSELF WHEN DOING THIS.)
- Rinse fabric until water runs clear - and we all know how long that takes! Actually, this method seems to lessen the rinsing step.
If you're game - give it a shot, tell us how it worked.
Enjoy and have fun!