Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Are you as intrigued by Kaffe Fassett as I?

When I see a new fabric collection by Kaffe Fassett, well - there's no question they capture may attention.  But I'll admit I sometimes have a love/hate relationship with what I'm seeing. And I'm not sure what that is.  Is it because his colors are usually so bright and bold?  Is it because your eye never rests? Is it because his color mixing, well, let's face it, it's a bit out there.  Not sure I'd put some of those colors together the way he does.  Is it his designs - they are so large, so abstract, so not abstract?

No matter.  I still always end up falling for what I see.  Then I just ran across this video that Westminster Fabric put together.

What I especially love was what Tula Pink had to say about Kaffe and his designs and color - "they leave you with very little room to breathe."  That is just so PERFECT!  I think that sums up my feelings exactly.

Then Kaffe goes on to say when he creates a new line of fabric - well unlike other designers he does not think in terms of creating a focus fabric first and then build the other pieces around it, the various coordinates/complements/support pieces.  He just really creates what's in his mind because his overall intention is to recreate a quilt like those quilts made from whatever was around and available -from rags, old pants, old shirts/t-shirts, drapes. Then make the fabric work for you and your design, not the other way around.

Check out the video, it's only a bit over 2 minutes:


No comments: